Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Lindsay Edmonds over at Passionate Homemaking is hosting a Crockpot Carnival. Her goal is to share nourishing crockpot meals to help out women in the busy seasons of life. I thought I would post one of my favorite soups that can easily be turned into crockpot fare. It is loaded with spices and nutrients.

Spicy Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup (this recipe is taken from allrecipes.com)

1 tsp. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 lb. chicken, cooked and shredded/cubed
1 can diced tomatoes (or 2-4 chopped tomatoes)
2+ c. chicken broth
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 c. frozen corn
1 can kidney beans (or 1-2 c. cooked)
***
1 1/2 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. water

Stir-fry onions and garlic in oil. Throw into crockpot with remaining ingredients except the final two. Cook until sweet potatoes are tender (2-4 hours on high; 4-8 hours on low - depending on your crockpot). Combine the flour and water and stir into the soup. Best served with chopped cilantro, lemon/lime slices and sour cream.

Photography by Docswife

Comments (5)

On November 17, 2009 at 4:54 PM , Amy@NewNostalgia said...

this looks great! This crock pot carnival thing is an awesome idea!
You have a beautiful family, I look forward to reading through your posts!
God bless, and thanks for sharing the recipe!

 
On November 18, 2009 at 5:41 AM , Alison @ Hospitality Haven said...

Wow! That sounds delicious! I just found you through the crockpot carnival. I appreciate your diverse cultural upbringing. I'll be checking back!

 
On November 18, 2009 at 8:17 PM , Jia Le said...

Thanks, ladies! The recipe has always been a hit with everyone I've served it to because of the unique spice blend. I hope you enjoy it. I'll certainly be trying out some of the other crockpot meals shared by others. It was such a great, timely idea!

 
On November 20, 2009 at 4:36 AM , Adrienne said...

I've made this a lot since you posted it before. We love it.

 
On February 8, 2010 at 8:36 PM , Kelly said...

I was just looking for some nourishing slow cooker recipes and clicked on one from the carnival that sounded good... and who's site should it take me to but yours?? How funny. Love you.