Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I've recently finished reading That's My Son: How Moms Can Influence Boys to Become Men of Character. The author particularly targets single moms who are trying to raise boys, but the information is good for all of us who have sons... or brothers... or husbands... or do any kind of interacting with the opposite gender. I know it helped me see ways of encouraging my husband to be a man of God as well as giving me insight into the needs of my son.

The book deals more with slightly older boys as opposed to my toddler, so I will be referring back to it in the future, but it does help even now as I try to train and shape a male child. Rick Johnson explains some inherent traits of men as well as offering advice on how we as women can interact with and help our sons in ways they can understand. I appreciated the author's candidness as he talked about certain difficult areas that will have to be faced and addressed when raising sons. One of his major points is that a boy can only learn how to be a MAN from other men - therefore it is vital that we surround our sons with men of godly influence and character.

Certainly it is a great responsibility - a God-given responsibility - and above all he acknowledges that without God's help we can do nothing.

Comments (0)