Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I am a hand-washing fanatic.  I couldn't tell you how many times I wash my hands throughout the day.  I also don't like using gloves to wash dishes because I'm semi-obsessed about being able to feel whether all the food bits have come off.  On top of this, I have used a variety of lotions with very little success because I have small pores and the lotion doesn't soak in.  A couple of hours after applying, when I go to wash my hands, the lotion will wash away.

Can you tell where this is leading?.... VERY DRY HANDS!  Or, as one of my students once pointed out: "Grandma hands!"  

This was brought to an embarrassing focus last week when I was accosted by a vendor trying to sell *miracle* Dead Sea salt scrubs.  He asked to see my hands and I jumped back with a horrified, "NO!" We decided to be nice and let him do his spiel, and I walked away with softer hands - for a few minutes.  

All that to say, it reminded me of a sugar scrub that I used to make and give as gifts to people.  I decided it was time to make some more as a gift to my poor, abused hands.  I love how simple it is, and it leaves my hands soothed and smooth.

*****
Sugar Scrub
1/2 c. sugar
2-4 Tbsp. olive oil (or almond, coconut... those nice ones)
2-4 drops of essential oil or extract (optional additions for their pretty smells)

Stir together.  
Rub about a teaspoons worth on your hands. 
Rinse and dry.  
Ah... the softness!  

It is better to make smaller batches more often to preserve freshness.
*****

The sugar exfoliates, getting rid of dead skin cells while the oil protects your skin from moisture loss.

I found different variations of this scrub here and here with some fun additions.  One person said it made a great face scrub - worth a try, me thinks.

Picture from tipnut.com.

Comments (1)

On June 3, 2009 at 2:07 AM , Java with the Johnsons said...

my hands were horrible(cracked and bleeding)...i think from changing so many diapers...and having to wash my hands constantly ALL day and night long. my brothers were even horrified by now bad my hands were. micah told me that the soap they use at the hospital has lotion in it. i found hand soap with lotion in it at Walmart...and my hands have been FANTASTIC since then. it's a little weird to get used to...almost feels slimy...but it works!!!