Monday, June 1, 2009

When we lived in China, we rarely ate sandwiches. Good bread was hard to find (I made my own most of the time, so it was a little more rationed), deli meats were untrustworthy, cheese was expensive, etc... We ended up having two hot meals a day - one being left-overs or quick (cheap) Chinese take-out.

Now that we are living in the western world, sandwiches have become our lunch-time fare with left-overs thrown in when we have them. But, I'm getting tired of sandwiches... or at least the same old versions. I need help to think up some creative, inexpensive new ideas. Below are some of my sandwich varieties... I hope you can give me some new suggestions. I would prefer the ingredients to be fairly common. As good as avocado and mango chutney sounds, I don't really keep that in my kitchen. (Well, that's not entirely true.. I have a big box of mangoes in there right now and chutney sounds kinda good...)

Cold Sandwiches

* PB & J/honey
* Ham/Salami/deli meats and Cheese (with pickles, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc...)
* Egg, Ham and Cheese
* BLTs (except it's hard to find American-style bacon here. What they say is "bacon" is our ham. What they say is "ham" is ham. And what they say is "gammon joint" is ham. Sigh...)
* Peanut Butter, Tomato and Mayonnaise (an oddity from my mom's side)
* Fruity Curry Chicken Salad (always a big hit wherever I take it)

Hot Sandwiches

* Ruebens
* Sardines or Pilchards (in Tomato Sauce) on Baguettes, topped with Mozzarella and broiled
* Hot Subs (with left-over spaghetti sauce and mozzarella on top)
* Grilled Cheese

Comments (5)

On June 1, 2009 at 5:46 PM , Glad2bHis said...

Hey Staci!

Some more ideas...... hmmmmmm.... how about tuna melts? (Just toast slices of bread, spread on the tuna mixed with miracle whip or mayo, top with a slice of mozzarella and broil for a few minutes or until golden and bubbly) Also, you can eat peanut butter with honey, sliced cucumber or sliced banana. Also, cream cheese and jelly is really good.

Love you!

Heidi

 
On June 1, 2009 at 8:20 PM , Java with the Johnsons said...

italian sausage subs (sub roll with pizza sauce/italian sausage/provolone toasted in tehe oven)
egg salad (my mom makes it with curry powder and it's delish!!!!
i have to agree...i love pb/honey/banana
sloppy joes
pulled pork...i made some just in the oven...no grill...and it was pretty good...with a yummy vinegar sauce

 
On June 1, 2009 at 8:56 PM , Java with the Johnsons said...

oh...and...sometimes for me it just helps to switch it up...use a different kind of bread...flat bread/croissant/etc.

 
On June 2, 2009 at 6:59 PM , Adrienne said...

What about hungarian hamburgers? My mom still makes those. Or just hamburgers? I just made steak sandwiches the other day that were so good. just grill or fry steak, slice it up and serve on toasted bread with this yummy sauce. mayonnaise, worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard and some fresh garlic. The sauce is also great for other things such as dipping oven fries or vegetables or putting on hamburgers.

 
On June 2, 2009 at 8:52 PM , Jia Le said...

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I look forward to trying them out. We have an easy grill in our oven that I should use more often to make melts and other hot sandwiches.

Adrienne.. that dipping sauce sounds delicious! I think that would be a big hit here.