Monday, March 23, 2009

I'm not sure where I first heard about The Omnivore's Dilemma - perhaps when I was looking at the New York Times Best Seller list or maybe on someone else's blog. It has been on my reading list for a while, but when I eventually moved to a country with English-language libraries, I found that all the books in all the libraries had been checked out. I've finally succeeded in getting my hands on one and I will share with you what I learn as I read through it.

"What's for dinner? " How many times have you asked that question? This book takes the question a step further: "What IS dinner? And from where does it come?" Pollan is questioning what the original source of our food is. If it is true that "you are what you eat" then he wanted to find out what exactly was it that he was eating. As he finds the sources, he follows them back step by step as they are broken down and built up again to become the foods we know today. What he came to realize is that the foundation of most of our foods in America is CORN.

His book is divided into three parts:

First, he traces CORN as the source of most of our current world's processed and industrialized foods.

Secondly, he will look at GRASS, the source for our organic foods.

Thirdly, he will talk about the FOREST, and how man used to forage for what he ate.

If you are interested in finding out what he discovered, then I recommend reading the book. It is very factual, and once you get past the first couple pages which seemed a bit technical, it becomes quite interesting reading about the journey of food to our plates. If you just want to know some of the details without reading the book for yourself, then keep checking back here as I summarize the three separate sections of his book.

post signature

Comments (1)

On May 4, 2013 at 1:02 PM , Anonymous said...

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book
in it or something. I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is wonderful blog.
A fantastic read. I'll certainly be back.

Also visit my page; bmi chart women