Wednesday, April 8, 2009

One of my son's favorite things to do is "help" me rinse dishes.  He's allowed to handle all plastics, silverware and unbreakables while I do the glass/ceremic/sharp things.    I believe that children should be an active part of housework as they are able, so I like that he is learning the process of dishwashing - trying to get the bubbles off of the dishes, putting the silverware in the right compartment, etc... It can be both amusing and exasperating. It also requires a lot of disaster control and constant decision making.  Is it okay for him try to drink the rinse water with a spoon?  Should I let him keep trying to pour water in the silverware compartment with his cups when I know it will soon end up all over the floor?  Should a cheese grater be strummed with a fork?  It keeps me on my toes (because if I stood flat-footed, my entire sock would be soaked with spilled water.)

He might need a little more work with the stacking techniques, though I think he did a good job on the cups - efficient, just not productive. 


Comments (1)

On April 11, 2009 at 3:43 PM , Java with the Johnsons said...

too cute!!!!!