Tuesday, April 14, 2009

We are fortunate to have about seven "charity shops" (thrift stores) in our immediate area.  These are a bit different than the large stores with everything imaginable that I enjoy frequenting in the states.  They mostly focus on clothing and books with only a few offering small furniture or electronics.  There are not many toys and most kitchen items are more of the collectible-type rather than useful.  So, imagine my surprise and joy to find these bargains.

Moseying around with my dear aunt and cousin on Saturday took me to a store I don't often check and there before me was a Brother sewing machine for ₤10 ($15).  I snatched it up!  I'm so excited to try it out (after I get a hold of some oil for it).  I have curtains to hem, a couch to cover... and so many more possibilities.  After semi-complaining on a previous post about having to leave behind my sewing machine in China, this comes as such an undeserved blessing from the Lord.

Then, today as I was racing to get my son to the Rhyme, Rattle and Roll session at our local library, I passed by our favorite thrift store.  Sitting there was quite a nice looking stroller.  I glanced at the price and thought: well... if it's still there when I get back, I'll buy it.  I need something for when our baby is born and I've been dreading trying to figure out the best product to buy without spending too much money. I spent most of my time at the library wondering if I made a mistake by not buying it right away (that thrift store has a very fast turn-over rate).  An hour later I headed back expecting to be disappointed, but there it was, calling my name. I examined it (with help from a sweet older couple who seemed excited for me),and everything looked like it was in good working order.  It is a neutral gray and includes a winter sack, a reversible handle (so that you can see the baby while you are pushing), a fairly big basket below and it folds up quite nicely. Come to find out, it is a very good quality brand that runs between ₤200-250 ($300-350) and I bought it for ₤15 ($22) -  marked down from ₤30!!  I've been praising God all afternoon! 


Comments (4)

On April 14, 2009 at 3:04 PM , Java with the Johnsons said...

YAY GOD!!!

 
On April 14, 2009 at 3:37 PM , Anna @ Feminine Adventures said...

That's wonderful! :)

 
On April 16, 2009 at 6:56 PM , Adrienne said...

Yeah Staci, So excited you got a sewing machine. How wonderful God is in providing the things we need. Especially when we're a little discouraged and need the encouragement.

 
On May 6, 2009 at 12:46 AM , Alison Palmer said...

What a blessing! :)