Sunday, April 12, 2009

I ended Lent on Good Friday (a couple days early because I mistakenly started it a bit early and it was my husband's birthday as well as our Passover celebration.) See previous post.

One thing I found interesting in this 40ish days was the number of times when I was taking care of a sick and fussy child or dealing with a disappointment that I just wanted to turn to chocolate for "comfort". I wondered why - what does this tell me about myself? Some might talk about the natural "high" that chocolate can give and how I subconsciously desire it when I'm feeling down. Perhaps in all the giving, giving, giving that motherhood requires, I consider it as something just for ME. Maybe I looked to it to take my mind off the frustration of the moment. Maybe I really am addicted!? =) Whatever the case, it was eye-opening for me to consider what I turn to when I am feeling low. Very often, rather than turning to the Source of joy and contentment, I try to conciliate myself with second-rate choices. This verse comes to mind:
For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:15-16)
What a blessing that we have a Savior who understands us... even to our most subtle desires for self-gratification or self-pity. My challenge for us all to think about is this: What/who do you turn to when you are feeling low? Food? Coffee? Music? Escaping into a book or a movie? Your spouse or best friend? In and of themselves none of these are wrong, but there is a fine line between finding these avenues as comforting and looking at them as our source of comfort. The next time that you hit a point in life where you are saying, "This stinks! I need....(chocolate, a vacation, a good cry...)" try to remember to take your troubles first to God. He "gets" it and He's told us to give all our cares to Him because He cares for us.

Comments (0)