Thursday, May 14, 2009

I've been reading The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson.  It has been so timely for me as I had been struggling with some of the requirements of motherhood.  I am someone who is task-orientated.  I love schedules, checklists, order and cleanliness - I'm pretty sure each of those is an antonym to "toddler".  (Not that toddlers don't need these things too.  I have seen the importance of each aspect in giving our lives stability and helping us to enjoy each other).  But, I have needed to refresh my priorities.  In some areas I've needed to confess my discontent or frustration to God and regain His perspective.  As long as the years ahead of me seem, in reality, I only have a short time to invest in my children's lives.  Heaven forbid I put my checklists and the desire to get something "accomplished" during the day before meeting my children's needs.  I read this quote today and it was such a good reminder to me of what it is that my children (and husband) need:

My children didn't need me to be on top of all my chores or even to be perfect in taking care of all their needs.  What they needed was for me to be content and patient with life. 

I know that although I don't see the fruits now, I am teaching my child by my example - especially with my attitudes when faced with life's difficulties.  I hope I learn this lesson young so that I can give my children many joy-filled years of sacrifice.  I have seen, too, how my discouragement and discontent can drag down my husband, whereas when I am joyful (though tired or disheveled or running late on dinner), a sense of harmony reigns in our house.  Truly we need God's strength to serve others as we learn to "lay down our lives" as He did for us.

Comments (2)

On May 14, 2009 at 6:16 PM , Anna @ Feminine Adventures said...

Amen! Just what I needed today. Thank you. :)

 
On June 4, 2009 at 2:18 AM , Alison Palmer said...

I absolutely love that book! It is one of the best mothering books that I've read! Also, I loved reading your post... we have a lot in common personality-wise! I, too, want checklists, order, and cleanliness, and I really struggle with that now that I have a child! I want/need to find a balance in all of that. I, too, am praying regarding some of the issues that you mentioned! Great post! :)