Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I feel a bit bad posting so many baby-related topics here lately, but I know of at least three people who read them that are currently pregnant, and several of the others have either just been there or hope to be there soon. It's where my life is at right now, so here we go:

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea - the "Pregnancy Tea"

Here are its claims:
  1. Rich in iron
  2. Tones the uterus
  3. Increases milk production
  4. Decreases nausea
  5. May help prevent delivering early or late
  6. May reduce the need for interventions
  7. Eases labor
Basically it strengthens the uterus and pelvic muscles - which then will help labor to go more smoothly (and some say, faster) as well as benefit the recovery afterwards. Some people swear by it; others couldn't tell a difference.

When and How:

There is a disagreement as to when you should start drinking red raspberry leaf tea. The concern is that it could lead to miscarriage in the first trimester and many recommend that you not start until the second or third. I have a cousin who drank it her entire pregnancy. My midwife told me to wait until my 36th week, so I have only started recently. Follow your heart doctor's advice.

Drink either 2-3 cups a day or an infusion (an extra-strong tea).

Other herbal helps:

Nausea - Ginger Root; Peppermint Leaf
Insomnia - Camomile; Lemon Balm

There are other teas out there that may help with the weird things our bodies do when pregnant, but please research first because some could have negative effects on your pregnancy.

Comments (1)

On May 27, 2009 at 3:11 PM , Anna @ Feminine Adventures said...

Thankfully I didn't start until about 38 weeks. Two cups later and I was in labor. ;) Unfortunately it wasn't quite enough to make the labor go faster! I'm wondering if it will have the same effect this time or if it just the nudge my body needed to go into labor right away with Rosalind...

Oh, and I love your pregnancy related posts. :)